Monday, August 02, 2004

A child of the 80s

A group of us went dancing on Friday night--friends from high school that I only see a few times a year. Going dancing at a club isn't normally my favorite activity--it's too loud and I always feel a little self-conscious. But this time seeing Katie--who lives in Boston these days--was enough incentive to join the crowd.

We went to Poly Ester's where they have dance floors for the 70s, 80s, 90s and hip-hop. We ended up on the 80s dance floor. After we'd been dancing for a while, "Jesse's Girl" by Rick Springfield came on. I love to sing along when I know the words, so I start to sing along, and I see this guy out of the corner of my eye doing the same thing. We move towards each other and start to sing together. His name is Scott and he's 32 and as we dance together for the next half-hour or so, he apologizes for singing along to the music a couple times by saying, "I'm a child of the 80s--I can't help knowing all the words."

At about last call, he went to get that last drink and we didn't exchange numbers. After about the fifth time he told me I was the prettiest girl in the room, I had started to think maybe he was using a line on me. But it is too bad I didn't see him on the way out. I wish I would've told him that I love guys who aren't afraid to sing along.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.