Monday, September 27, 2004

That word I forget to use

I did it. I said "no" today. Ok, not really "no", but I did say, "Today won't work for me, even though I feel absolutely horrible about it, so how about tomorrow?" Thank goodness it doesn't appear she's going to take me up on the offer for tomorrow.

In related news, I woke up this morning and was completely consumed by anxiety. Saying "no, but maybe tomorrow" to my co-worker took care of one source and I just gave my boss calculations he expected from me, reducing my second source. Thank goodness because I almost took a mental health day today because I couldn't face getting out of bed. Now the only thing still weighing on my mind is...

Sorority drama. I checked my email innocently last night to see how I was doing in the football pool (if Washington wins tonight, I'll tie for second--after my first place finish last week, this is good!) and discovered a couple long angsty emails and the announcement that one member is looking to resign from the sorority. Dealing with these issues will likely make tonight very long and tiring. As much I love these women, sometimes I wish they would just grow up.

Maybe tonight in my sorority meetings I can use that word again...

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saying no is always difficult. I'm only starting to learn how, which would explain why I'm constantly weighed down by too many projects.

The word angst is also a lot of fun. Some friends and I have coined the term "terminal angst" for those people that seem to view drama as a way of life. It's the vapors for the next millenium!

-Laura

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Terminal angst--a disease often found in groups of college-age women and extremely communicable. Sometimes I only wish they could actually die of it! ;)

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Suzy said...

I too am working on using the "n" word more often with my students. When I am asked 20 times a day if a student can go to their locker, sometimes I just tire of it!!

Talk about terminal angst...remember middle school??

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Sometimes I look back on the things I obsessed about--middle school, high school, college, whatever--and am appalled at myself. Definitely terminal angst. But you're totally right--middle school is not a me I would like to live with. The high school me would not be quite so bad, although I'm sure I would feel the need to smack her in the head occasionally. Sometimes I think it would be fun to relive high school knowing what I know now and being a mature adult. Hey, I'm at least much more mature! ;) Do you ever think about how you would do it differently if you got to relive those days?

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I'd be interested in reliving high school knowing what I know now. I had a pretty good high school experience, but still. I'd REALLY love to relive college. Mistakes were made both personally and professionally. Working in a study abroad office has made me realize just how many opportunities were available. I kick myself most every day. A friend of mine drew this comic strip about her college days. Seems to sum up my own.

Under no circumstances would I want to relive middle school. Those days are best left in the past. Suzanne is quite possibly the bravest person I know for making a career out of teaching that age bracket. I've always been up in the air as to whether or not I want to have children - not wanting to live through their tween years is a big reason why.

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Suzy said...

Bravest or dumbest, one of the two...maybe if I were smarter I'd choose something else to do. Some days it seems that way, anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.