Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Artichokes

I spent my last college summer interning for an architectural engineering firm. The engineer I worked under called his counterparts "artichokes". This was the highlight of my job, except hearing the tech over the wall talk about the latest issue of Playboy. /grimace/ Anyway, I thought it was cute and made sure it was the first thing I told DA, my friend's boyfriend, who had just started his first job as an artichoke out of college.

When I moved into my new apartment before my senior year started, it was the first time in over two years that I'd had roommates I didn't really know. V was a friend of a friend and one of the first others to move in. Her mom was helping her move in and DA gave them a hand with some lifting, etc., while I finished some tasks in my room.

Soon I came to say hi and meet V's mom. After we were introduced, DA goaded me into calling him an artichoke. I smiled and began to explain to V and her mom why this was funny. I finished and DA helpfully stepped in and asked V's mom to tell me what she did. I'm sure you can guess--she was a fellow artichoke.

Boy, were my ears red!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger kmsqrd said...

Yep, using the term around artichokes can become a bit hairy if you're not careful. I hope you survived the introduction.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Cerulean Bill said...

Artichoke? Umm...sorry...I don't get it. Is it a pun? Or a reference to something?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.