Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Stopped

I sprinted up the stairs when my phone rang. Discovering a different friend unexpectedly on the other line was a nice surprise and I smiled as I took the phone into the living room.

A flash of light caught my eye out the bay window and I turned, still talking. There was a man with a flashlight standing at the top of our driveway looking into the driver’s seat of my mom’s car. I froze, now silent and puzzled. Was Dad outside? He’d been washing the dishes a few minutes before. Adrenaline began to pump through my veins. I cocked my head to listen and realized I could still hear him washing dishes.

Putting my friend on hold, I slid into the kitchen. “Dad, there’s someone outside with a flashlight looking in Mom’s car.”

Time seemed delayed as he turned to look at me and hurried past me into the entry. The door closed behind him as he rushed down the driveway. The man I had seen was now on the sidewalk running away from our house.

“You, stop!” my dad called as he ran after the would-be thief. The tall man ducked in a dark running car and brake lights flashed briefly before they peeled away. My dad limped home in his socks, reporting back to us when he found us waiting in the entry. As he finished his story, I slipped my arm around him in silent thanks for being there to protect us.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

Dads are great in general, and yours, specifically, is pretty awesome. I'm glad he was there for you. I hope everything was ok!

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Everything was okay. Seems we ran off whoever it was and all our cars are fine. I'm just so glad I wasn't alone when it happened!

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Cerulean Bill said...

Its wonderful what your father did, but I'd like to point out that you get a major part of the credit, too. You noticed the situation, and you took action.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger African Kelli said...

Woah. That is too weird and scary!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.