Tuesday, September 28, 2004

What a difference a day makes

As I said yesterday, I woke up yesterday full of anxiety about the day. So much so that I almost took the day off work to avoid it.

It was a long day--work until 6, have dinner with another sorority adviser to tackle some issues, spend 3.5 hours in sorority meetings (including 1 hour dealing with members with "terminal angst"). Add a pointless errand and a quick trip to the grocery store and I didn't even get home until after 10:30. I was ready and motivated to clean my apartment, so I started by spending an hour checking my email. But once I finished that, I truly was motivated. I took a break at 2 am to set my VCR and ended up watching Food Fight. But I made a trifle for my meeting today at 3 am and hopped in the shower at 3:45. (Anyone remember the Friends episode where Rachel made the trifle?) I had a couple momentary energy lulls but I was so psyched that I kept going until I crashed into bed a few minutes after 4.

It was an amazing feeling when I finally climbed into bed and in 20 hours my mood had changed from overwhelming anxiety to contented achievement and motivation.

3 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger Angie said...

My peach melba torte got rave reviews last night. David asked me why I didn't just buy something from the store and this is why--I love it when the alums gush over whatever I brought. This one was pure luck though--I made up the recipe as I assembled it.

Ingredients:
2 packages of lady fingers
3-4 cans of good quality peach slices (reserve liquid)
2 bags of frozen raspberries (check ingredients to be sure they were frozen with sugar)
1 box of vanilla instant Jello pudding
2 C. of milk
1 large tub of Cool Whip (or comparable amt of whipped cream)
Handful of sliced almonds

Simple instructions:
Layer (from bottom) 1 package lady fingers, 1.5-2 cans of peach slices, 1 bag of partially defrosted rapberries (drizzle 2-4 T. of reserved peach liquid over raspberries), vanilla pudding, 1 package lady fingers, 1.5-2 cans of peach slices, 1 bag of partially defrosted rapberries (drizzle 2-4 T. of reserved peach liquid over raspberries), Cool Whip. Sprinkle almonds on just before serving.

More detailed instructions:
Layer one package of lady fingers on bottom of bowl and around the bottom against the sides.
Place 1.5-2 cans of peach slices on top of lady fingers, equally distributed across layer.
Pour defrosted raspberries over peaches and evenly distribute.
Drizzle 2-4 T. of reserved peach liquid over raspberries.
Smooth prepared vanilla pudding over raspberries.
Layer second package of lady fingers over pudding and around sides of bowl.
Place 1.5-2 cans of peach slices on top of lady fingers, equally distributed across layer.
Pour defrosted raspberries over peaches and evenly distribute.
Drizzle 2-4 T. of reserved peach liquid over raspberries.
Smooth Cool Whip over raspberries.
Chill until serving (overnight ok).
Sprinkle almonds on just before serving.

 
At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not supposed to share your trade secrets! They won't invite you back to these things if they don't need desserts!

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Angie said...

The bonds of sisterhood, and my incredible time commitment to this organization, obligate them to keep inviting me--regardless of the desserts I bring. :)

And for the record, I do get a lot out of satisfaction from my work with the sorority, even if I don't always talk about that part of it here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.