Thursday, October 21, 2004

Putting on my game face

SWE is working with the local chapters of ASME, IEEE, NSPE, and SAME to host the first annual regional engineering social tonight. The vice president of my SWE section is the one who came up with the idea and has spearheaded the committee to organize it. I'm very excited about it.

I am embarrassed that the local section of ASCE, which is newly reformed, has not made an effort to attend. I am particularly embarrassed because the company I work for is active in the ASCE revitalization effort--my own division manager is the section officer responsible for programs. Hopefully when this opportunity comes around next year, and I feel confident this event will be come an annual affair, they will be in a position to contribute and participate.

Yesterday the SWE vice president called to confirm my participation tonight as a "greeter" and informed me that I would be expected to introduce myself and say a few words on behalf of SWE. Gulp. Time to put on my game face.
  • I'm wearing a great power suit today--black with a knee-length straight skirt and periwinkle on the lapels to lighten it up.
  • And heels. Nothing says power and confidence in a woman like good tall heels.
  • Makeup is in my car, ready to be applied as I leave here.

You should see the looks I've gotten at work today. I should dress like this more often.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger Angie said...

The social went very well and I was not forced to introduce myself to the whole group. :) As usual most of the men were older, but at least it was a coed activity. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.