Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Nail biting

Presidential election update: visit Slate for exit poll results being updated infrequently throughout the day.

I'm reconsidering my position on Colorado's amendment 36 to split our electoral votes. I had been convinced I was going to vote no because Colorado has so little electoral power now, I didn't want to see it eroded. But I believe that there needs to be electoral reform. Is it worth potentially giving up political power to make a statement about electoral reform? This view would say short term loss versus long term gain. But the idea of long term gain means that this change would affect more change in the way this country votes for president. I don't believe that this amendment will encourage any other states to similarly amend their constitutions. So that makes a win for this amendment a long term loss for political principle. Kind of like a vote for Nader, but that's another story.

Also as a consideration, should this amendment pass, it has been written to apply to this election. So my choice for president could possibly gain a victory in Colorado, although polls show that to be unlikely, and only get 5 electoral votes instead of 9. Everyone knows that every electoral vote counts this year.

So, a vote for principle or a vote to encourage future candidates to address Colorado's issues... See you in the voting booth!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger TurtleHerder said...

If I had the choice, I would vote to split the votes. If this election is as close as I think it might be, then a few electoral votes just might give Kerry the edge. To me, that is worth it.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Suzy said...

argh! The suspense is killing me! How many of us will be falling asleep tomorrow after staying up late to watch results?

I'm definitely watching the Daily Show's "Prelude to a Recount" before I go to bed. If nothing else, they'll be amusing.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Another unsuccessful night spent waiting for my candidate to be declared president. On the upside I did catch up with a bunch of people while watching coverage. We all reminiced about where we were four years ago...

In the end I voted for amendment 36. Now I can continue to complain about feeling disenfranchised by the electoral college and Colorado maintains what little political power it has. I am really disappointed that Kerry didn't carry Colorado--I knew better to expect it, but I hoped!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.