Saturday, July 09, 2005

What makes a date?

Last night was really good. Dipping my feet back in the dating pool is fun, but it also raising questions for me.

What makes a date?

I think it comes down to the intentions of both parties. I have a male friend (F) from high school that I get together with every couple months. At first to keep our relationship clearly platonic, I made sure that we split everything. Over the years my vigilance has waned and now we take turns buying. Reviewing last night's activities (movie and ice cream), I can see that the only difference between last night and a night with my friend F is what went through my head--and hopefully my date's. If I'd been out with F, I wouldn't have made eye contact through my lashes and I wouldn't have allowed our shoulders to touch during the movie. I wouldn't have smiled quite so widely and I wouldn't be hoping for a phone call and looking forward to seeing him on Monday.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Cerulean Bill said...

I'd say that what makes a date is permanence. If you enter into it thinking that if you like it, you're going to do it again ...and again and again... its a capital D Date. If you just want to do the experience (whatever - restaurant, movie, museum, skating), its a 'small-d' date. Not to say you can't have recurring small-d dates. They just don't carry the implication of permanence.

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sure sounds like a date to me. :-) Glad it went well! So, is he a keeper?

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY you! I want all the details!
-Kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.