Thursday, August 26, 2004

Last night's mares

We were at my grandmother's house, three generations of Shackel women. It became dark outside and we headed in. My mom went out to get something and I heard her coming up the back walk. Something made me close the inner door before she got to the locked screen door. She knocked and then called out to me--letting me know by what she said that she wasn't alone and that something was wrong. I crept back to the living room to alert my sister and grandmother, trying desperately to figure out how to get out or where to hide.

Perhaps fortunately that's where I woke up. I did what you're supposed to when you awake from a nightmare--solve the problem. My now-wakened mind told my sister to call 911 and hide in the bathroom while I looked through the peephole to see if we could sneak out the front. Now partially satisfied, I fell back to sleep.

This time it was fire--something I'm truly frightened of. It started with tons of sirens and a huge explosion. Somehow, even in this dream, I went to sleep to escape it. When I woke up (in the dream), the light coming into my apartment was sooty and orange. My friends in the living room were glad I woke when I did--the airport had just reopened so we could get out because we were under mandatory evacuation order. I truly woke up as I was trying to figure out what to fit in my biggest suitcase as I left my apartment which would surely be destroyed.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop eating unhealthy food that stays in your stomach all night and gives you creepy nightmares...

Matt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.