Thursday, August 05, 2004

Origins

I was studying for my finals during my first semester in college when I had an unexpected visitor. It was my best friend PJ at the door. He had taken a break from his own studying to stop by and drop off a Rice Krispies treat and a note. The note went something like:

Angineer-
Good luck with your studying! :)
-PJ

No one had ever combined "Angie" and "engineer" to create the nickname "Angineer" before that, or since actually. Soon after that PJ and I shared our first kiss. It took another year before we had a real relationship, but our relationship never made it past the six month mark. I lost my best friend in that breakup and the year of turmoil that followed. It is only recently--four years later--that we've been able to set that aside and be friendly again. But somehow Angineer came to characterize me in my own head.

The nickname Angineer never seemed more appropriate than it did last night. There was a huge rainstorm here and as the rain started to let up, we pulled over near a drainage channel and watched as the water rose and almost overtopped the bridge because it couldn't get through the bridge opening fast enough. It was like watching a hydraulics lecture in action--and I really enjoyed it. In fact, I wished I had a flow meter to measure how much water was passing under that bridge. The best part about working with engineers--they get excited about big storms and drainage channels too.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Angie said...

I hope you clicked on the Rice Krispies link--ever wonder why Rice Krispies go "Snap, Krackle, Pop"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.