Friday, November 05, 2004

Sorority sisterhood

Driving back from celebrating my first Founders' Day as a sorority member, I was riding in C's car with my pledge mom and a couple of her friends. Our spring formal was that night and everyone was discussing who they were going with, what they were wearing, and how they were going to pre-party. I stayed silent through the conversation because I had decided not to go. Being shy I didn't feel comfortable enough with my sorority sisters to go solo and there wasn't a boy in my life I felt comfortable bringing. C, the driver, turned around and said, "Angie, who are you going with?"

Faced with this direct question, I was forced to admit I wasn't going. When C asked why, and I explained that I didn't have a date so I hadn't RSVPed, C matter-of-factly said, "No way are you going to miss your first formal. I lined up a bunch of boys from my business fraternity to set up with my sisters and I think there is one I still haven't setup yet. When we get back, I'll call him and make sure he's still free. Do you have something to wear?"

Wow. No one had ever done anything like that for me. With a few phone calls that afternoon, everything was arranged. My date (that business fraternity pledge) and I went to C's apartment off-campus for her pre-party and then onto the formal. While he was nothing special, I never forgot what C had done for me and the story of her kindness was one I told for years as an example of the bonds of sorority sisterhood.

Coming soon... C sets me up on another date.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I can't wait to hear what a miserably deplorable and wretched creature the next guy was...

Matt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.