Friday, January 14, 2005

Online dating

PJ and I were having a very enjoyable conversation last week, when he asked me if we could talk about our relationships--or was that too weird? He caught me completely off-guard, so I stalled for a moment, and then said, "Sure, it will be awkward, but if we're going to be friends, it would be easier if there weren't off-limit topics." Turns out he's single now. Kind of a relief actually--I was afraid he was bringing it up because he wanted to talk about his girlfriend.

He told me that one of his friends discovered that she couldn't say she was a rabbinical student in her online dating profile because it attracted men who were looking for therapists, not girlfriends. "You mean on JDate?" I interjected. "Yeah," he said, surprised that I knew about the popular Jewish online dating site. "I say I'm a graduate student on my profile. Then I tell them I'm a rabbinical student in our first contact."

I am amused by the irony that rabbinical students, a group I would imagine to be hyper-moral, are keeping truth about themselves from potential dates. I do appreciate that they are keeping an aspect of their lives private for their own safety. I have at least one other friend who also struggles with what information to share, and when, in the online dating process. And it is much like the process I go through as I prepare my blog entries--what information should I reveal?

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:00 AM, Blogger Cerulean Bill said...

Well, how about: whatever you wouldn't mind -- or would like to see -- as an above-the-fold headline in the Sunday New York Times?

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Angie said...

That is a good yardstick, but I may have already passed that boundary, and actually--I'm okay with that. I haven't shared anything I would be really uncomfortable having as public knowledge, but this acts as a journal-type site for me. And that's what I want. :)

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I try to go for things that wouldn't make my world end if my mom read them. My mom doesn't know that my blog exists, but all the same, there's always the possibility she could discover it. I also don't like to get into anything too personal, but that's really just my own paranoia coming out to play.

My creepy dancer ex-roomie in Chicago used JDate. She seemed to have pretty good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.