Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Type A

Witness what a workplace full of engineers can become:

My company is sponsoring a chili cookoff during the first week of February. We got the first email just after the first of the year and had to commit to our level of participation in the contest and assign a team member to the official tasting panel. The day the first email came out, my teammate and I decided what variety of chili we are serving and what accessories should accompany it. Note that this was over a month before the contest.

During the past two weeks, I've solicited recipes and made one test batch for my teammate's approval. This year the competition can include dessert as well. We have done some research, chosen three different potential recipes and we will be testing one recipe each in the next week.

Today, I eavesdropped on the neighboring team's discussion scheduling their chili making session and my teammate and I are making preparations to get the additional appliance we need for our chili submission.

Anyone else think competition is not a great idea for an office of engineers?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Blogger Cerulean Bill said...

I'm not a competitive person, but the cookoff sounds like fun to me. I'm partial to honey chili, though I know 'real' chili chefs would scorn it. What kind of chili are you making?

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Suzy said...

I inherited a great green chile recipe from my folks (who got it from the super-secret Denver Post recipe). Let me know if you want it--it's really different and good! :-)

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Mmmm... Bill--honey chili sounds really interesting. I would love the recipe! I'll email you offline...

Suzanne--my teammate and I are both extreme wimps when it comes to spicy foods. That's why we chose Cincinnati chili--it is like normal red chili with cinnamon and cocoa powder in it. It is served over spaghetti with cheese, onions and beans as optional toppings. Our entry will be memorable, but we don't have any hope of winning because our coworkers like nuclear chili! This way we're also guaranteed to have something we'll enjoy for lunch that day. :)

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Good news: the neighboring team is not competing in the dessert portion of our competition. One less team for us to beat down.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to test out one of our possible dessert recipes. I'm excited about this one--I'll let you know how it is after I've tried it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.