Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Those opportunities don't come along every day

We arrived back at the hotel from the amazing rehearsal dinner about 11pm, the night before BLB's wedding. LS, my sorority sister, roommate and fellow bridesmaid, and I knew we had to be ready to leave the hotel--all bridesmaid accessories in hand--at 7am so we got ready for the next day and then hurried to bed. We had only been in bed for a few minutes when the phone rang.

"Hello," I said--who could be calling our hotel room? Even my mom didn't have that number.
"Hey--is LS there?"
"Yes, but she's sleeping."
"Oh, is this Angie?"
"Yeah."
"This is Owen, the best man. We're downstairs in the bar--come join us."
"Who's us?" I asked.
"The groomsmen. We're playing bocce ball. Come down and join us."
"Look, we're in bed and we have to be up early in the morning. BLB would kill us. We're not coming down."
"Come on--it'll be fun. I'm a fun guy."
"Here--talk to LS."
LS had sat up after I turned on the lamp and was looking curiously at me. After taking out her earplugs, she had been following my side of the conversation and wondered what plans I was turning down. LS could be fierce when she wanted to, so I knew she would tell Owen off. I handed her the phone and she mostly listened--after just a minute or so, she said, "Ok, we'll be down in a few."
"What?" I said. "We're in our pajamas and we have to be up early in the morning."
"Yeah," she replied, "but we're not in college anymore. These opportunities down just come along everyday."
A few minutes later I was downstairs--drinking beer from the groomsmen's glasses, contributing to the noise that got us kicked off the outdoor bocce ball court, dancing with the groom's uncle and warmly laughing at the groom's drunk declarations of love for his absent bride.

LS was right--those opportunities don't come along everyday.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

LS is right! Gotta grab them when you see them. So glad you did!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.