Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Wondering

I toyed with the silver ring as we chatted last month, moving it from my right hand to my left and on and off my left thumb and ring finger. I barely noticed the way my hands were moving as I indulged the absent-minded habit. My hands paused and she glanced down at them.

"Getting used to wearing a ring on that finger?" she asked. I followed her gaze and realized the plain silver band had settled on my left ring finger, possibly mimicking a plain band of gold that might one day rest there permanently.

"Oh no, I just play with rings when I wear them," I quickly corrected her with a smile, as I made a show of moving the ring to my other hand.

This morning I grabbed that same ring out of my jewelry box. As I toy with the ring in between thoughts, I think back to her question and glance down at my hand, appraising how the ring looks on that significant finger and wondering what it would be like to have someone else place a ring there.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:42 AM, Blogger African Kelli said...

It is fun to consider!

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Cerulean Bill said...

It's significant, but it isn't a be-all and end-all. Its just a symbol. I don't even wear mine (mostly because it doesn't fit anymore); that in no way suggests a dimunition of affection, just as the prescence didn't mean it was still there (an observation encouraged by the success of a friend, years ago, in dating married women. I was always amazed.)

When I DID wear the ring, I'd spin it on the occasional table, and if the engraving inside landed in a readable angle, I'd say that this showed we were still married, but if not....

This was not the universal conclusion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.