Monday, August 09, 2004

Primary Colors

I just realized that tomorrow is the primary election--my first opportunity to vote this year! I normally vote by absentee ballot b/c it is easier, but this time I didn't fill out the paperwork in time, so I should really make time and go vote in person. But it is hard to be motivated when, out of 19 possible positions to vote for, seven have no democratic candidate running and only two of the others are contested. Do the math--that is only 11% of the ballot that requires me to make a decision. And honestly, I'm not well-informed when it comes to the differences between my CU Regent-At-Large candidates. So that leaves the Democratic candidate for Senate--which is important. I would love to see a Democrat take Ben Nighthorse Campbell's seat!!!! I hate living in a Republican-dominated state!

Other than the scheduling inconvenience, I also don't typically like to vote in person because... don't laugh... I'm nervous about those big scary voting booths. I'm afraid that I'm going to get into one and be unable to figure out how to do it. I've been in the booth with my mom when she voted when I was like ten, but that was a while ago, and I hate feeling unsure and/or stupid. I like the idea of computerized voting, although there are some pretty scary aspects of that too--computers are not the most reliable machines on the planet, the security on computerized voting machines has been called into question, and there is no way to be sure that your vote was accurately recorded without a paper trail. For more information on the campaign to make computerized voting safer, visit:
http://www.truemajority.org/ComputerAteMyVote/
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/

In other news, I tried yoga for the first time on Sunday morning. I think this is something I should do more. I've thought about signing up for a class, but I think that would involve joining a gym or something, and I don't know if I want to go that far. Can anyone recommend a yoga/pilates video for me to buy and/or try? Let me know. :)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My college roommate really liked the Yoga Journal series - you can find it pretty easily on Amazon. If I think about it, I'll ask around the office. It seems like every other person here is a yoga instructor.
-Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.