Monday, November 08, 2004

My semi-blind setup date

One evening that fall I ran into C at one of the fine campus dining establishments where she was grabbing food with her best friend and study partner, S. After she introduced us, we spent a moment debating Brett Favre v. John Elway. (Obviously John Elway is the better quarterback.) Then their food was ready and we went our separate ways.

A couple weeks later my sorority chapter announced an upcoming setup party. Typically, due to my shyness and non-Greek-appropriate guy friend pool, I would've skipped this party. But C approached me and said that S had liked me when he met me and maybe we would enjoy going together. She asked me to keep an eye out for a date for her and I felt bad but couldn't return the favor for her and she found her own date.

This is how S and I ended up having dinner with C and her date before the setup party. It seems to me that the setup party was a typical sorority party--dark and loud, but honestly it didn't make an impact on me. What I remember is that S was very nice. And when he asked me to go out with him again, I was excited to.

We dated for a month or so, but unfortunately circumstances seemed to play against us. On Halloween weekend, S broke up with me and "popped my happy bubble."

Coming soon... the twist you've been waiting for.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You spelled "Favre" incorrectly. Also, I still think Craig Krenzel is the BEST quarterback ever. 2-0 for the Bears, thus far. And that is nothing short of a modern miracle. Also, S still can come back and turn out to be the long lost love of your life. Thus, making your relationship the ultimate dysfunctional and heretofore unwritten Nicholas Sparks novel. All the stars are strangely in line for it. Goofy.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Angie said...

No, if it was a Nicholas Sparks book there would be a tragic death in the back story and lots of tears. Thankfully, I am currently free of those. :)

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Suzy said...

D and I have had the Brett Favre/John Elway discussion before. John Elway always wins because he is the best quarterback ever. (Or at least in my eyes he always wins.)

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Laura said...

No one down here understands how I can care not a jot for football, but still have strong feelings about Elways' quarterbacking. It's so hard to explain growing up in Denver, but opportune showings of South Park helps a bit.

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elway's over-rated. The only times he won the Super Bowl was when he had a star running back. Otherwise, he would've been eating popcorn in the honorary Don Mattingly room with Dan Marino, Charles Barkley, and Patrick Ewing, all Hall of Fame players that never put it together to win.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.