Sunday, April 24, 2005

Forgotten

My grandparents got married in the 1940s. My grandmother is an extremely strong woman--very sure of what she wants and not afraid to tell you what she thinks--but she is also a product of her generation. For example, my grandfather held all their accounts in his name.

My grandfather appeared to have Alzheimers as he got older. My grandmother took care of him at home and the arrangement seemed to be working--until one month when she gave him the checks to sign to pay their bills and he had lost the ability to sign his own name. At that point it was a mad dash to get their accounts handed over to my grandmother. But she continued to care for him at home until less than two months before his death almost a decade later.

3 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Point proof as to why they are the "Greatest Generation" and our generation will be remembered as a cavernous vortex of suckitude.
Matt

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Angie said...

How is it that not having the foresight to put my grandmother on the accounts makes them great? Obviously my grandmother caring for my grandfather was almost super-human, particularly considering she had already spent decades of her life caring for first her mother, then her father, but I don't believe you can generalize her goodness to an entire generation. Or, if you can, why can't you generalize my goodness to our entire generation? :)

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

Grandma is truly amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.