Saturday, April 16, 2005

THAT ring

I have this friend who always threatens to give me one of those Tiffany's blue boxes. If his knees weren't too sore from playing tennis, he'd probably even get down on a bended one. If I were ever going to let him, I would have to put him through my pre-engagement education program (patent pending).

Step one: show the scene from Bed of Roses when Christian Slater proposed to Mary Stuart Masterson in front of his whole extended family and she runs out of the room and demands that they go home to NY.

Lesson one: proposals are best in a private setting. There is no need to make her feel pressured to say yes or for you to be embarrassed if she says no. (Although it does work sometimes--see While You Were Sleeping for rebuttal.)

Which brings me to lesson two--don't ask the question if you don't know the answer. While the moment of the proposal may be a surprise, the fact that you're asking shouldn't be. In season two of the Gilmore Girls, when Lorelei tells Luke that Max proposed, he asks all kinds of questions--where will they live?, are they going to have kids, or a joint checking account? She is ashamed to realize they haven't discussed any of those things. And it is a discussion about Max's role in raising Rory (Lorelei's daughter), which helps lead Lorelei to call off the engagement.

And then, for me, there is a third lesson. While I would like an effort made, I don't necessarily need that special blue box, or 1000 yellow daisies. I think the key is that those unique touches be personally meaningful. For me, I'm a traditionalist and the things that I do need include a bended knee and I would like my parents to have given their permission first. Like I said, I'm a traditionalist.

Oh, and if you haven't learned anything from the cliche about hiding the ring in the food and the bride-to-be needing the Heimlich maneuver, then you don't meet the IQ requirement for marriage or reproduction.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger Lauren said...

You truly are a genius. I might just start referring my male friends with serious girlfriends to this blog entry for education. Have you considered giving seminars?

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Thanks! :) I was watching Sweet Home Alabama last night and Patrick Dempsey proposes during a surprise visit to Tiffany's. I made an involuntary girl noise when the lights came up and you saw the blue boxes, but while extravagant, it wasn't that special. And it made me think. I would love other suggestions on movie proposal dos and don'ts!

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny. What's with all the bad movies? "Bed of Roses", "While You Were Sleeping" AND "Sweet Home Alabama"? The movie critic in me just busted a gasket from all that dreck. Ugh. As per engagements, to make you look completely hypocritical, your future husband will just have to make sure to propose to you on national television, while on your third date, and do it in a way that signifies something so ridiculous it is inherently cliche. Be careful of those dates to see the Broncos/Rockies/Nuggets with the big Jumbotron scoreboards. That would definitely crack me up.
My engagement was at a park near our place in Ohio at sunset while out with our golden retriever for a walk.

Stevie Ray Thornton

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Stevie,

So it is okay that you proposed to your girlfriend in a sweet and romantic way, but you've cursed to the horrible Jumbotron spectacle? Hmmm... now I'm reminded of Runaway Bride...

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Laura said...

While You Were Sleeping is truly my romantic movie guilty pleasure.

Trying to think up other good movie proposals, but I'm currently at a loss.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Cerulean Bill said...

When I was dating, once I realized that this truly was The One, I would ask about every third day if she wanted to get married. One afternoon, I was taking a nap when she came in, woke me up, and said 'Ask me your favorite question'. Blearily, I said "Do you want to have pizza tonight?"

Been married 20+ years, now...

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Bill - Best pizza you ever got, huh? :) Thanks for the great story!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.