Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Priorities

I got an email last week from one of the vice presidents of BΔ--the sorority chapter I advise. C is one of the few seniors holding office this year and one that I know I can rely on, particularly dealing with the sensitive issues her office oversees. I can't tell you how discouraged I was when I saw that she wants to resign. But C has valid reasons--she has examined her priorities and realized she doesn't have the time and energy to do her job well. And while sometimes I might wish these chapter members put the chapter first, they are in college to be students and their sorority experience should enhance and not detract from that.

On Sunday night I was having dinner with my parents and my sister when my mom looked at my sister and said, "So, are you going to tell Angie about...?" Turns out my sister is taking this semester off. She realized that she likely wouldn't be successful finishing her major classes this semester b/c history is no longer the major for her. It has always been one of the most challenging majors she could choose and I am proud that she made it this far. I admire her for making this decision and handling it so maturely. I am not good at asking for help, so I don't think I could what she is doing. In her place I'd have likely stuck it with this semester and gotten myself kicked out of the history department.

All of this reminds me that my priorities are perhaps a little skewed right now and I haven't taken responsibility to fix it. There is no one else volunteering to fix my life, so I need to do that for myself. Hopefully developments will coming up in the next few weeks.

**And just a warning for my loyal readers, the school that I advise at starts classes next week, so more and more posts will likely deal with sorority-related topics. I'll try to keep it interesting for GDIs (non-Greeks) in the audience.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Angie said...

In case you were looking for the update, C did resign her position. I think it probably is best for her right now, but we're going to miss her leadership a lot! We've targeted another vp to take her position and then a member who is returning from being abroad to retake the position she had before she left, filling our new vacancy. Less than ideal, but unfortunately the chapter members aren't my puppets. :)

Last night reminded me of the committment I put in as chapter adviser--I was in meetings for almost 4 hours, getting home just before midnight. Granted, we completely finished the budget, as well as the master calendar and I had my meeting with C. So I'm feeling accomplished, but tired today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.