Monday, July 18, 2005

That's what sisters are for

I rushed into the church only 10 minutes before J's wedding was due to start. I noticed the heavy curtains to my right and hurried between them. There was J surrounded by family and bridesmaids. She looked at me warily and asked what I needed. I smiled, "Nothing. Just came to bring you some handwipes in case you need them. And to see if you still need something blue?"

"Why?" she asked.

"Because I brought this for you," I answered, holding out an earring. The small silver earring, decorated with blue stones, was shaped like our sorority's symbol. Her face lit up in the first genuine smile I'd been honored with in days. She reached out and said, "I want it." And I watched as she pinned a piece of our sisterhood to her wedding gown.

....................................

Walking across the street to the rehearsal for J's wedding on Friday, I called out to the young woman crossing the street in the opposite direction, "Jaime! Jaime!"

The slim girl did a double take when she saw me and rushed across the lanes to grab me in a hug. "Hi, you got your hair cut!"

We spent a few moments catching up and then I excused myself to head into the campus chapel. Jaime asked me to give J her best wishes and then suggested that I call her if I wanted to get together this summer. I smiled, nodded and headed off to help our sister celebrate her wedding.

....................................


If I hadn't accepted that job offer four years ago, and if I hadn't emailed the local sorority chapter soon after I moved here, I wouldn't know the women in that picture with me (right) and I wouldn't know Jaime (that I crossed paths with above). My life would be less rich, less vibrant, and less fun. That's what sisters are for.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger Cerulean Bill said...

Can I ask? Which one is you?

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love this post. It speaks volumes.

And yeah, which one *is* you? I think we can safely eliminate the one in white...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.