Drawing only straight lines since 2004
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Monday, July 21, 2008
Why today must be Monday
My desk is exhibit A:
Now look more closely:
Yes, that's how my work computer looks right now. Even the IT guys have given up on it for the moment. And that's how I know it has been Monday all day.
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Thursday thirteen: Engineering is a laugh a minute
- The funniest geeky thing I've seen in ages: http://science-professor.blogspot.com/2008/07/fsp-jr.html?showComment=1216308720000#c8632116694516314299
- One of my friends sent this to me today--I used to have a copy of it on my college hard drive. I hadn't thought of it in ages.
- And I made my mom laugh with this one a few weeks ago.
- You know what finally dawned on me yesterday morning? My male colleagues can't wear shorts to work, but I can wear skirts and dresses! There are a few advantages of professional dress codes for women!
- Not only can we wear skirts or dresses, but most of the time we are viewed as dressing more professionally when we do.
- This might seem like an obvious fact of life, but the combination of the hot and dry weather right now and that this office is the first I've worked in where I didn't have to dress like an eskimo in the summer, is finally allowing me to enjoy my non-pants wardrobe!
- One of my coworkers just stopped by and mentioned that he is going biking after work. He was telling us that he can be on his bike by 5:45 and bike for nearly 3 hours before the light gets bad. And all I was thinking was how he has a baby that is less than six months old that he probably doesn't see at all on days that he bikes after work.
- Somehow I don't think that's what our other coworker who was involved in the conversation was thinking of.
- I can't believe tomorrow is Friday already. Are you sure we didn't lose a day?
- I had to send a letter overnight to meet a deadline tomorrow. I always somewhat marvel at overnight mail services. That is a lot of processing and organizing to do overnight.
- Imagine living in the era when mail had to travel on horseback, or even was limited to trucks rather than airplanes. Crazy.
- It is amazing how happy being able to cook, particularly with fresh vegetables out of a garden makes me.
- Gotta go so I can stop by said garden to get more!
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Another letter to D
Another morning, another reminder of you. Today it was "Torn". The imagery of the song is always lost on me because instead I picture the bluffs of Nebraska as we drove along in your "little red roller skate". Somehow it is extra fitting since I'm off on a road trip with my boyfriend F this weekend.
Wednesday, July 09, 2008
I heard a new song on the radio this morning: "I Kissed A Girl" - Katy Perry. Have you heard it yet? I'm sure you know what it reminded me of.
Late that long ago Saturday night--actually very early Easter morning--you leaned across the divide between the driver and passenger's seats and kissed me for the first time. The next day you called your best friend and told her about our kiss with a song--playing that one with that same title, the one sung by Jill Sobule.
When we were still together I used to listen to that song while I was away at college, smiling when I heard it. I assume it still exists on my college computer, dusty in storage now, but apparently the memory is fresher than I thought.